A generative remixing of music tracks based on an interactive swarm
- Tatsuo Unemi, Daniel Bisig: A generative remixing of music tracks based on an interactive swarm. In: Generative Art 2008.
"Identity SA" is an interactive and generative installation that combines a swarm- based simulation with real time camera based interaction that we presented at GA conference 2007. We extended it by embedding two methods to generate sounds and music from pre-recorded sampled sounds. One is to let agent trigger sounds at intervals that are synchronized to a particular musical rhythm. The other one is to generate sounds whose transposition and timing is purely related to the agent's properties. The probability that an agent triggers a sound is proportional to the square of its angular velocity for both cases. By mixture of these two methods, it generates a rich variety of attractive sounds that react with the visitor's motion.
1. Tim M. Blackwell and Peter Bentley, Improvised music with swarms, in Proceedings of the Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 1462-1467, 2002.
2. Daniel Shiffman, Swarm, SIGGRAPH emerging technologies exhibition, 2004.
3. Christian Jacob, Gerald Hushlak, Jeffrey Boyd et al, SwarmArt: Interactive Art from Swarm Intelligence, Leonardo, Vol. 40, Issue 3, pp. 248-255, 2007.
4. Tatsuo Unemi and Daniel Bisig, Flocking Orchestra – to play a type of generative music by interaction between human and flocking agents. in C. Soddu ed. Proceedings of the eighth Generative Art Conference, pp. 19-21, 2005.
. Tatsuo Unemi and Daniel Bisig, Identity SA – an interactive swarm-based animation with a deformed reflection. In C. Soddu ed. Proceedings of the tenth Generative Art Conference, pp. 269-277, 2007.