Creating tiling by means of 2D graphics applications
Nelly Bogdanova: Creating tiling by means of 2D graphics applications. In: Generative Art 2005.
Methods of creating patterns and ornament with the help of computer can be divided in to several groups. First way is programming or generating patterns and ornament. Other way is using of features and capacities of computer graphics software for the tiling. Such applications of 2D computer graphics as Corel Draw, Adobe Photoshop, and Corel Painter contain tools and mechanisms for crating tessellations, patterns, mosaics, and tiling. Tasks of paper are to classify methods of creating tiling in each application and discuss the problems and advantages of these methods. All methods we classify in to large group: filling methods and cutting methods. But each application has unique features for creating ornaments and tiling.
1. Kaplan, S.,C., Salesin, H.D. (2000). Escherization. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2000, in Computer Graphics.
2. Grunbaum B., G. C. Shephard. (1987). Tilings and Patterns. W. H. Freeman,.
3. Computer Art by Hans Kuiper. From http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/Hans.Kuiper/index.html [11.11.2005]
4. McClelland, D. (1999) Photoshop 5. Bible. Hungry Minds.
5. Brain S., Scott Campbell, D. (1999). Special Edition Using CorelDRAW 9. Que.
6. Ilyin, M., Ilyina, M. (2002). Corel Painter 6. Snakt-PeterburgPublisher house "Piter". [In Russian]