Una-May is leader of the AnyScale Learning For All (ALFA) group at CSAIL. ALFA focuses on scalable machine learning, evolutionary algorithms, and frameworks for large scale knowledge mining, prediction and analytics. The group has projects in clinical medicine knowledge discovery: arterial blood pressure forecasting and pattern recognition, diuretics in the ICU; wind energy: turbine layout optimization, resource prediction, cable layout; and MOOC Technology: MoocDB, student persistence and resource usage analysis.
Una-May was awarded the EvoStar Award for Outstanding Contribution of Evolutionary Computation in Europe in April, 2013. She is also is a Jr Fellow of the International Society of Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, now ACM Sig-EVO (Jr implies elected before age of 35).
Una-May was a co-founder of ACM SigEVO in 2004. She now serves as Vice-Chair of ACM SigEVO. In 2013 she inaugurated the Women in Evolutionary Computation group at GECCO.
Una-May served as chair of the largest international Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO, in 2005. She has served on the GECCO business committee, co-led the 2006 and 2009 Genetic Programming: Theory to Practice Workshops and co-chaired EuroGP, the largest conference devoted to Genetic Programming.
Una-May serves as the area editor for Data Analytics and Knowledge Discovery for Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines (Kluwer), as editor for Evolutionary Computation (MIT Press), and as action editor for the Journal of Machine Learning Research.
Una-May has a patent for a original genetic algorithm technique applicable to internet-based name suggestions.
Una-May holds a B.Sc. from the University of Calgary, and a M.C.S. and Ph.D. (1995) from Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada. She joined the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, MIT as a Post-Doctoral Associate in 1996.
- Hemberg, Martin; O'Reilly, Una-May; Menges, Achim; Jonas, Katrin; Gonçalves, Michel; - Fuchs, Steven: Genr8: Architects’ Experience with an Emergent Design Tool. In: Juan Romero; Penousal Machado: The Art of Artificial Evolution: A Handbook on Evolutionary Art and Music. Springer, Berlin, 2007, 167-188. DOI: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/978-3-540-72877-1_8 http://projects.csail.mit.edu/emergentDesign/genr8/hemberg_chap.pdf
- Una-May O'Reilly, Martin Hemberg: Integrating generative growth and evolutionary computation for form exploration. Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines 8(2), 163–186 (2007), special issue on developmental systems DOI: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10710-007-9025-y https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Martin_Hemberg/publication/225635375_Integrating_generative_growth_and_evolutionary_computation_for_form_exploration/links/00b495252eff565ce6000000.pdf?origin=publication_list&ev=prf_pub_xdl
- Yann Semet, Una-May O'Reilly, Frédo Durand: An interactive artificial ant approach to non-photorealistic rendering. In: Deb, K., Tari, Z. (eds.) GECCO 2004. LNCS, vol. 3102, pp. 188–200. Springer, Heidelberg (2004) DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-24854-5_17
- Martin Hemberg, Una-May O'Reilly: Extending grammatical evolution to evolve digital surfaces with genr8. In: Keijzer, M., O’Reilly, U.-M., Lucas, S., Costa, E., Soule, T. (eds.) EuroGP 2004. LNCS, vol. 3003, pp. 299–308. Springer, Heidelberg (2004). http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.205.4493 http://projects.csail.mit.edu/emergentDesign/genr8/euroGPpaper.pdf
- Martin Hemberg, Una-May O'Reilly: GENR8 - using grammatical evolution in A surface design tool. In: Barry, A.M. (ed.) GECCO 2002: Proceedings of the Bird of a Feather Workshops, pp. 120–123. AAAI, New York (2002). http://projects.csail.mit.edu/emergentDesign/genr8/gecco2002.pdf
- Bentley, PJ; Una-May O'Reilly; (2001): Ten steps to make a perfect creative evolutionary design system. In: (Proceedings) Proc. GECCO 2001 Workshop on Non-Routine Design with Evolutionary Systems. http://sydney.edu.au/engineering/it/~josiah/gecco_workshop_bentley.pdf
Peter Testa, UUna-May O'Reilly, Devyn Weiser, Ian Ross: Emergent Design: a crosscutting research program and design curriculum integrating architecture and artificial intelligence. Environment and Planning B Planning and Design 01/2001; 28(4):481-498. ·
- Peter Testa, Una-May O'Reilly, Greenwold, S. (2000). Agent-based genetic programming for spatial exploration. Presented to the ACSA. http://acg.media.mit.edu/people/simong/self/architecture/AgencyGP/AgencyPaper.pdf
Peter Testa, Una-May O'Reilly, Markus Kangas: MoSS: Morphogenetic Surface Structure A Software Tool for Design Exploration 01/2000;
- Una-May O'Reilly, Ramachandran, G. (1998). A preliminary investigation of evolution as a form design strategy. In Adami, C., Belew, R.K., Kitano, H., Taylor, C.E., eds.: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Artificial Life. University of California, Los Angeles. MIT Press, 26–29. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.47.9024 http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.47.9024&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Ignacio Arnaldo, Kalyan Veeramachaneni, Una-May O'Reilly: Flash: A GP-GPU Ensemble Learning System for Handling Large Datasets. 17th European Conference, EuroGP 2014, Granada, Spain; 04/2014
Ignacio Arnaldo, Krzysztof Krawiec, Una-May O'Reilly: Multiple Regression Genetic Programming. Proceeding of the sixteenth annual conference on Genetic and evolutionary computation conference, Vancouver, Canada; 01/2014
Dennis Wilson, Kalyan Veeramachaneni, Una-May O'Reilly: Cloud scale distributed evolutionary strategies for high dimensional problems. Proceedings of the 16th European conference on Applications of Evolutionary Computation; 04/2013
Owen Derby, Kalyan Veeramachaneni, Una-May O'Reilly: Cloud driven design of a distributed genetic programming platform. Proceedings of the 16th European conference on Applications of Evolutionary Computation; 04/2013
Pedro Fazenda, James McDermott, Una-May O'Reilly: A library to run evolutionary algorithms in the cloud using mapreduce. Proceedings of the 2012t European conference on Applications of Evolutionary Computation; 04/2012
Dylan Sherry, Kalyan Veeramachaneni, James McDermott, Una-May O'Reilly: Flex-GP: genetic programming on the cloud. Proceedings of the 2012t European conference on Applications of Evolutionary Computation; 04/2012
Kyle I. Harrington, Lee Spector, Jordan B. Pollack, Una-May O'Reilly: Autoconstructive evolution for structural problems
Computational Complexity Analysis of Genetic Programming - Initial Results and Future Directions Frank Neumann, Una-May O’Reilly, Markus Wagner 10/2011: pages 113-128;
An executable graph representation for evolutionary generative music.
James McDermott, Una-May O'Reilly 13th Annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO 2011, Proceedings, Dublin, Ireland, July 12-16, 2011; 01/2011
Jason Ansel, Maciej Pacula, Saman P. Amarasinghe, Una-May O'Reilly: An efficient evolutionary algorithm for solving incrementally structured problems. 13th Annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO 2011, Proceedings, Dublin, Ireland, July 12-16, 2011; 01/2011
James McDermott, Una-May O'Reilly, Leonardo Vanneschi, Kalyan Veeramachaneni: How Far Is It from Here to There? A Distance That Is Coherent with GP Operators. Genetic Programming - 14th European Conference, EuroGP 2011, Torino, Italy, April 27-29, 2011. Proceedings; 01/2011
Kalyan Veeramachaneni, Katya Vladislavleva, Matt Burland, Jason Parcon, Una-May O'Reilly: Evolutionary optimization of flavors. Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO 2010, Proceedings, Portland, Oregon, USA, July 7-11, 2010; 01/2010
Katya Vladislavleva, Kalyan Veeramachaneni, Matt Burland, Jason Parcon, Una-May O'Reilly: Knowledge mining with genetic programming methods for variable selection in flavor design. Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO 2010, Proceedings, Portland, Oregon, USA, July 7-11, 2010; 01/2010
unamay ät csail dot mit.edu